Saturday, September 15, 2012

Chase Season 2012 Stats

Just a brief recap of stuff that wasn't covered back in my June posts. Here are all the stats for my 2012 season:

Chases: 9
Miles Driven: 5118
Tornadoes: 6
Largest Hail: Ping-pong (1 1/2 inches)
Highest Winds: 71 MPH (RFD March 2nd supercell)
States Chased In: Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Kansas, Nebraska
Busts: 4
Best Chase: May 25
Funniest Experience: Driving under a supercell's base on March 2nd and having Ryan say "oh look its spinning" right over our heads
Scariest Moment: See above
Worst Experience: Deciding to chase the May 24th bustola in northeastern Iowa/southeastern Minnesota that wasted valuable time for the next day
Creepy Country Folk Encountered: 3 (March 2nd)
Strongest Tornado: EF2 (March 2nd)
Best Structure: Rush County Supercell (May 25)
Moderate Risk Fails: 2 (May 24, June 29)

For all intensive purposes, 2012 was not that bad of a season for me even though it was sorely lacking in tornadic setups sans two major outbreaks early in the season and a few sleeper days in May. I chased farther and longer than I ever have before (extended 3 days of nonstop chasing and over 3000 miles covered in 5 days). I also got my first tornado and possibly one of my favorite all time structure shots. I'm greatly anticipating spring 2013 in Tornado Alley and am hoping for an even better season. Until then, I'm gonna be re-living the memories:







No comments:

Post a Comment