Sunday, March 1, 2015

Cleaning Off the Cobwebs

Norman took an absolute clobbering in Oklahoma terms from the winter weather event that unfolded over the course of this weekend. Most side streets were sheets of ice well into the afternoon and evening yesterday with the traditional bad driving that always accompanies Texans and Oklahomans when there's snow on the ground. The white death from above has done nothing to damper my spirits as we roll into a cold March, even as it looks more and more likely that this will be my latest start to a season since 2009. I've been working on clearing off all my SD cards, finding all the other things that have been spread about over the previous 6 months (road atlases are surprisingly good at disappearing), and finally planning out funds and days I will most certainly not be able to chase due to school and other events.

The lead-up to the 2015 season has given off one of the strangest vibes I can think of since I started chasing. It feels great to be in March but the desperation for storms, while still there, hasn't driven me to the brink of insanity just due to the sheer volume of other things I have going on right now. I've been itching to get out of Norman and back onto the prairie that I love so much but there's no real sense of urgency now that we've hit March. Whether it's maturity or just plain lethargy I'll never know, but it's nice to not be totally emotionally invested in when the season will actually offer the first setup on the Plains. But for the other out there who are craving supercells and tornadoes, we're not too far away.

Also, tune into the Ghost Train tonight at 7:30 CST to get an awesome rundown of the new Stormtrack from Steve Miller and the rest of the mods at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiQ0VwfDqcE


No comments:

Post a Comment